Reading through the 2016 Bordeaux en primeur prices, the Editor believes that our readers may be interested to refresh the knowledge of some of the chateaux.
This issue let us look at Chateau Ausone which fetches a very high en primeur price of Euro650 a bottle!
- Chateau Ausone ranks among 1 of the only 4 chateaux as the top Premier Grand Cru Classe (A) in the St. Emilion Classification
- The other 3 chateaux are Cheval Blanc, Angelus, and Pavie
- Some legends claimed Chateau Ausone can be dated back to the 4th century, belonging to the famous Roman poet Ausonius
- There have been 3 different families who owned the chateau, with Alain Vauthier as the current owner
- Very small production, around 2,000 cases including both Chateau Ausone and its second wine Chapelle d’ Ausone
- For Ausone, the grapes composition is 55% Cabernet Franc and 45% Merlot
- The second wine is made of half and half of these grapes
- Ausone is always full-bodied, intense, rich, and tannic
- With the young vintages, we need to decant for 3 to 4 hours
- In order to remove the many sediments, it would be better to decant for a while even for the older vintages
Current Good Vintages
- Ausone has won very good comments for the past 3 vintages 2016, 2015 and 2014 in a row
- If one prefers slightly older vintages, the 2009, 2005, 2004, 2003 and 2000 can be the choices
Friends of K-Cellars, when you procure the wines from this Chateau, please remember to keep it with our all-time temperature-controlled chambers to allow you the best enjoyment at the time of consumption.