Many wine lovers have experienced Chateau Lynch Bages. This chateau is popular in Hong Kong, and famous for its Chinese name 靚次伯 who is a well respected Cantonese opera singer. In China, as early as 1986, the wine expert Jean Michel Cazes had come to promote Lynch Bages and this chateau is very well-known there.
Although just being a 5th Growth in the Medoc Classification, Chateau Lynch Bages wins high acclaim over the world and is listed among Robert Parker’s Bordeaux Magical 20.
- The Chateau was founded in 1749, and the name was changed a few times till 1862
- In 1938, the famous Cazes family bought the property and this estate embarked on a new road
- In 1985, Lynch Bages(vintage 1975) became the first wine sent to the Space, by a French astronaut carrying it with a joint US/French space flight
- This 100-hectare property nurtures 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 17% Merlot, 6% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petit Verdot
- Some of its old vines are 90 years old, with the average around 30
- Annual production around 35,000 cases
- The 2nd label is Echo de Lynch Bages ( called Haut Bages Averous before 2008 )
- The chateau also produces a white wine Blanc de Lynch Bages, consisting of 53% Sauvignon Blanc, 32% Semillon and 15% Muscadelle
Style of Wines
- Chateau Lynch Bages is well loved for its great concentration, mingled with charm and finesse
- Some found truffle flavours and lasting tannins in the wine
- Some wine drinkers advised that 4 hours of decanting is appropriate for the young vintages
- If you want to savour a young bottle of the Chateau, the 2008 will be excellent
As always, Friends of K-Cellars will be delighted that your Lynch Bages collection lays comfortably and firm in your private cubicle with us! Do enjoy!